Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Iron Locket by Samantha Warren



This book is a little bit different from what we have had on the blog previously. The 4 Queens of Faery have decided to bring King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table back to life 2000 years after their deaths. Kane, Prince of the West, has turned on his family and joined the witch Leanansidhe in an attempt to take over Faery. His mother along with the other 3 queens ask King Arthur and his men to fight against them to save their world. King Arthur accepts the challenge and goes with his men into battle.  Aiofe Callaghan is the next in a long line of Hunters started by the Queen of the West (Kane's mother) to hunt down any fae that cross into the human world. Aiofe was hunting down a sprite and accidentally crossed into Faery. She walks straight into the battle. When Arthur sees Aiofe his world is once again turned upside down. There is an instant chemistry between the two and they are Arthur promises the Queen he will protect Aiofe at all costs. 

I am a little conflicted on this book. I want to give it 2 different scores. At first I was like oh...this is going to be interesting since I really like King Arthur and I kind of hate Guinevere.  It is a little different in that she is bringing them back to life and giving them another chance.  I also like books about Faery (I mean HELLO my favorite series is about the walls b/t man and Faery falling!) so I was excited to read this book.  Then I started it...and I was like OMG I can't read this I am SO bored...I can't remember the last book I have not wanted to finish so I was really disappointed. I went ahead and powered through and I am SOOOOO GLAD that I did...the second half of this book is AWESOME! I enjoyed the battle scenes not too bloody or gory but descriptive. I like that Samantha Warren described how even the war horses used knew to fight and took care of themselves and their riders. I liked seeing Arthur and his knights in action and when they meet Aiofe they are still gentlemen and you realize guys aren't like that today. I like Aiofe. She is not some whining heroine that has to have a man to be happy but she also isn't so jaded that she hates all men. She is a normal girl that takes her responsibility seriously.  All I can say about the ending is Holy cliffhanger, Batman! I am looking forward to the next book.

If I were to seperate the book I would give the 1st half a 2 because it was so hard to get through but I would give the 2nd half a 4 b/c I could not put the book down.  So I am going to meet in the middle and give the whole book a 3.5.  All I can say is POWER THROUGH PPL! It is worth the read. 



Author

BIO: Samantha Warren is a fantasy and science fiction author who spends her days immersed in dragons, spaceships, and vampires. With her pet dragon, Anethesis, she ventured to the ends of the universe, but the cost of space travel cut into her sock fetish fund, so she sold her ship and returned home. When she isn’t writing, she’s milking cows or trying to feed them Pop-Tarts. She spends a lot of time in her weed patch (aka: garden), watching any show featuring Gordon Ramsay, or posting random things on her blog (http://www.samantha-warren.com).
Buy Links


Sunny

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for taking the time to read The Iron Locket and posting your review. :)

    ReplyDelete