Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Saving Amy by Nicola Haken



Synopsis:
Eighteen year old Amy’s surname may be Hope, but her life contains anything but. She drinks, she sleeps around, she cuts… anything to help her escape the agonising existence growing up between her mother’s drunken wails and her father’s fists. But nothing works. There is no escape. And Amy wants out…

Enter Richard Lewis – the doctor responsible for saving Amy’s life after her drink and drug-fuelled suicide attempt. Thanks to his own hidden demons, Richard is drawn to Amy and her situation, and despite the incessant warnings from both his own mind and his jealous ex-lover Joanna, he feels compelled to help her.

But how will Amy feel when she discovers Richard’s attachment to her is born out of his own guilt? He was her last resort – her last chance at being saved. Can anybody save Amy, or has she finally reached the end of a very long, torturous road?


Social Links:




Darra's Review:

This is really a great story. Hope has to go through such hardship and it is difficult to even imagine. She has been lost. From who she is, who cares, the reason to continue. At this point the will to live is dismal for Hope and she dreads every day she has to walk into her house to see her father.
When Richard walks into her life, everything seemed to get better but Hope has to pull herself our of this hole in order to stay with the guy she begins to love. Richard understands her background and what she has went thru.
This book has great characters and Richard seems to be the glue that keeps Hope alive. The book goes into deep detail of the background of both of them.
I give this book a 4.3.

AND.....We just do happen to be able to interview Richard Lewis himself! Ladies, he is a MUST!

Why did you push away your family when your sister, Kate died?
Guilt – pure and simple. I felt responsible for her death… I still do, though I’m slowly working      through it. I couldn’t bear to see the pain in my parents’ eyes knowing that I’d caused it. I took Kate, their only daughter, away from them and I was too weak and selfish to face what I’d done. It was easier to just walk away, and for that, I’ll never forgive myself.

What did you do after finding out your sister past?
I drank. I isolated myself. I was so busy feeling sorry for myself I didn’t give the people who needed me a second thought. I don’t like to dwell on that part of my life. I’d rather focus my energies on making it up to those I neglected.

How did you find Amy at the bar when she fell on the ground?
I was coming home from a late shift at the hospital and I’d left the fob for the underground lot in my apartment so I parked on the street while I went to get it. It was then, as I was making my way over to the gates guarding the building, I noticed a girl lying on the edge of the road. My first thought was that she’d been knocked down or maybe attacked, so I immediately rushed to her aid.

Why did you take Amy home instead of the hospital when you found her at the bar?
Honestly? I have no idea. When I pressed my fingers against her wrist to check her pulse she stirred from her unconscious state and started mumbling things I couldn’t decipher. Being in ‘doctor mode’ I ignored her while I rolled her gently into the recovery position. It was as I pulled out my cell to call for an ambulance everything changed. Her eyes flickered open – just briefly at first – but then she just… stared at me. “Please,” she whimpered. “Please don’t tell anyone.”

My eyes refused to leave hers until she closed them again. They held such sadness and pain… such fear. In some warped way it was like looking into my own. I had no idea what had happened to her and as thoughts of her being assaulted, or raped or threatened raced through my mind, I had the most nonsensical yet overwhelming urge to protect her.

It went against everything I’ve ever professionally believed, but before I could second guess what I was doing, I was carrying her in my arms like an infant and taking her back to my place.

It was the wrong call. Unprofessional and reckless. It was also the best decision I’ve ever made.

What did you think of Amy once she woke up after you helped her to your house?
I’d spent all night lying awake in my room, wondering what the hell had happened to this poor, frightened girl. I was expecting her to wake up and be this timid bundle of nerves. I thought she would talk to me, tell me what had happened to her and accept my offer to drive her to the hospital and inform the authorities. Instead I got her feisty side. She was pissed and defensive and rightly wary of me and my intentions. But I’d seen the scars on her legs… the bruising to her body. This girl was broken and for some unfathomable reason she intrigued me. I will never be able to explain why, to this day it makes no sense to me, but from that very first meeting I felt this need to save her. From who, I didn’t know. From what, I shouldn’t have cared. But I did. Without even knowing, she took a piece of me I didn’t know existed that day and it will belong to her forever. 

What made you fall in love with her?
Her eyes. Her smile… I savor every single one. Her spirit and strength. She’s feisty yet vulnerable. Mature yet playful. Cheesy huh? But the absolute truth. I could go on forever… She is exactly the kind of person I want to be.

Did you ever think the age difference would be a problem?
At first yes, of course I did. I battled with it for so long – convincing myself I was being irresponsible and taking advantage. I knew people would judge us and despite what I told Amy, I knew I was risking my career. But I felt powerless to stop what was happening.

The more time I spent with her showed me that age really is just a number – it doesn’t make sense to automatically link it with maturity. Amy was forced into adulthood from an early age. She was more mature than half the people my own age. Her vulnerability shone from her the first time my eyes locked with hers, but she wasn’t naïve. She was so strong… worldly - she had to be to survive. I was in complete awe of her and I still am to this day. 

How did you feel when you and Amy finally got together?
Elated. Foolish. Fulfilled. Irresponsible. For a long time I faced a constant internal battle over my feelings for her. I knew I loved her, but I also knew I shouldn’t.

Were you ever worried about your relationship with Joanna and if it would push Amy away?
No. Joanna and I buried any issues we had a long time ago and foolishly, I never doubted her loyalty to me. She was my best friend – my only friend – and so although I knew she had reservations about Amy, some of which were understandable, I trusted her to see past them in the knowledge I was finally happy.

When Amy left, did you ever think you would find her?
That was one of the worst periods of my life. Just thinking about it brings back every emotion that consumed me for those two weeks. To answer your question, I didn’t know if I would ever find her, but I was positive I would never stop trying.

After finding out about her “Father” changing her name and identity, did you think Amy was going to fall apart again?
That is always a worry for me - mainly because it’s a worry for Amy. But I believe in her and I know she’s stronger than she gives herself credit for. But it would be foolish of me to forget how she coped with the harrowing events in her life for so long. I have worked in the medical profession for a long time and I am fully aware that there is no ‘quick fix’ for people who feel the only option to numb their pain is to self-harm, or in some cases, self-destruct completely. How that coping mechanism came into Amy’s life is irrelevant… the fact is, it will always be a part of her. It is impossible to predict if somebody will fall apart, but what I do know, is if Amy falls again, I will be ready and waiting to catch her.
 

AND! There is one person I had to interview just because she was unbelievable(Not in a good way). Richard's best friend. Let me know what you think of her!
Interview with Joanna
What made you stay friends with Richard after you two broke up?
I loved him. I will always love him. I know in my heart that he has never felt the same – not in the way that I feel. But I know if he gave us a chance he could learn to love me too. I can make him happy – I know I can. And I will never give up on him.

Why did you tell Amy about Richard going to the Charity Event with you?
I know how it must have come across, but it wasn’t as clear-cut as me being the jealous ex trying to drive a wedge between them. I can’t lie – that was my intention. But not simply to cause trouble… I did it for Richard. That girl is no good for him. She’s too damaged to know how to love and by being with him she’s forcing him to risk everything he’s worked so hard to achieve. Richard knows this deep down… or he wouldn’t have lied to her in the first place.

When Jim contacted you to get into Richards house which Amy was staying at, why did you think she would want to see her father? And what make you think it was okay to bring him there?
I didn’t think she’d want to see him – I thought she deserved to see him. I thought she ought to face him after all the lies she’d told and all the hurt and worry she’d placed on Richard’s shoulders. I was… wrong. That time – I hold my hands up; I made a mistake. And the only thing that matters now, is getting Richard to forgive me. Which he will… he always does. Whether he can see it or not, he needs me.

Did you plan to get back with Richard the entire time?
It’s not just a plan. Richard and I will be together again. We go back too far… we’ve shared too much history… he just needs to get this warped need to ‘save’ someone out of his system and he’ll realize he will never be able to replace what we had.




Author Bio:

Nicola lives in Rochdale, England with her husband and four children (and dog!). She is the author of two stand alone novels, Inevitable and Saving Amy, and is currently having fun working on her first series with book one, Take My Hand, to be released in October. When not reading or writing Nicola can usually be found carrying out her daily slave duties – cleaning, feeding the mob, cleaning a bit more etc… or watching The Twilight Saga for the fifty-billionth time :-)








Tour Schedule Link:

 
Buy Links:






Giveaway Code:


 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment